Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Random follow #146 - @_surlymermaid

If you're keen to live life a little dangerously and enjoy taking a risk with your timeline then I can totally recommend @_surlymermaid.  Also know (currently) as Aunty Haurangi this is a tell it like it is twitter account.  Take no prisoners and pull no punches are the best cliche expressions to describe this account.

I am pretty sure that the bio for Aunty is correct (which I am not) and if it is then she is one smart cookie.


Don't read everything as truth as soon as you see it.  What you need to do is sift through the tweets and try and figure out which bits are genuine and which tweets are genuinely pulling your leg.  What I do know is that she is the boss.  And not a boss that is bossy if this tweet is anything to go by -

"Apparently cakes are on hold till afternoon tea. So much for me being the boss, i have even lost that decision making role!"

There is a real dark humor that flows through these tweets.  Not sarcasm, which really if the lowest form of wit, but an insightful and contrarian viewpoint resonates loudly.  Anyone can be sarcastic.  It takes someone with some smarts and a keen sense of humor to pull this world of the view off well.

"Well, after weirdly gaining 30 followers over the weekend, i lost 3 of them after my excessive #NativeAffairs tweeting THIS IS HOW I ROLL", or this -

"Things amusing me this morning: writing to the Dyslexia Foundation and managing to misspell dyslexia a different way every time"

Most people go to the mainstream and famous comics like Chris Rock or Sarah Silverman and dare I say it that Guy Williams fella...... but you don't have to!  Some of the tweets that are produced by @_surlymermaid will have your sides splitting and quite possible your pants being peed too. Like this - 

"The Mrs switched over q+a to stop me yelling at the tv. Now we are watching the Nation on tv3 + 1 and she is yelling. The dog remains silent", or

"Required: Social Media for Dummies (MP Edition)", or 

"Is Nicole ever going to get with a chick? #ShortlandStreet needs moar lady-lady action, stat"

Apologies if you don't find that sort of tweet funny but I do.  And this is my blog so I get to pick.  This tweet here probably says quite a lot about the about the approach taken to this twitter account -

"i completely understand. I feel so much freer and honest here. I keep hoping not too many people i know IRL join to change that."

I really hope that not many of those people join up 'cos this twitter account is damn fine just the way it is.  This irreverent, hardcase and all round funny.


No comments:

Post a Comment